Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Buy Used, Save the Diffrence"

If you know me at all, you know I have a strange obsession to the Duggar's. (The one's that have 19 kids.) It's something about their family that makes me want to jump through the TV and go live with them. I really think they are great parents and have raised wonderful kids! When I moved to Texas and didn't have anything to do but sit around all day, I started reading a lot. One book I read was the book that Mr. and Mrs. Duggar wrote. In this book were recipes, tips on raising children, and of course the secrets on how they have (now) 19 kids and are completely debt free. It just amazes me! Anyway, one of the things you will hear a lot on their show is "Buy Used, Save the Difference." I've been trying to adopt this principle with whatever I can, because really, do we all need new stuff all of the time? And what happens to the used stuff when people need to get rid of it. It goes to the dump, even though it's in perfectly good shape.

With the surprise of this baby, and not being in an ideal financial standing, I've really tried to think about the kinds of things that I can get used. As good as this concept sounds to me, in the back of my mind though, I struggle with wondering if I'm somehow cheating Baby... But yesterday changed all of that!!!

Friday Night Nick and I went in search of a sale USA baby was having. We looked at cribs and strollers and one particular travel system (car seat/stroller) caught our attention. It is the same car seat that the girl I nanny for uses. I just like the way it looks, the safety rating on it, and the ease of use. The price just seemed so high, so we looked at Babies R Us. We found the same travel system in a different color and just fell in love with it. We both agreed this is hands down what we want. We had decided not to purchase it that night, but go home and think about how we would pay for this.

The Stats:
*Travel System that includes Car Seat(+ base), and Stroller= $299.99
*Extra Car Seat Base for 2nd Car= $79.99
*Tax (.085)= $32.30
TOTAL= $412.28

Nick went to bed that night, and I stayed up for just a bit extra. I decided I would look on Craigslist... just by the mere chance someone was selling what we wanted.

SURE ENOUGH!! Some guy posted an entry just 3 hours before I looked, and he was in a good part of town!! I quickly emailed him, and told him we could come by the next day to look at it. He text me that morning to ask if we could come at 1... and when we got there, it was everything we had hoped for! It was in perfect condition, had only been used for 6 months, had never been in an accident, had no stains except for one of the strap guards... and was just awesome. We were sold!

Total Price of Used System + extra base= $160

MONEY SAVED: $252.28

We brought it home and I quickly launched into Mom Mode. I took all the fabric off and set up a washing station in the kitchen, scrubbing it all down. Straps included! I then threw everything in the washer and dryer and couldn't not be happy at the way it looks and smells. Today I put everything back on again, after wiping down every visible surface! Nick looked at me at one point and said "This is what we will be carrying the baby home from the hospital in." It was so cute, it made me want to cry!

So here we are, 6/7 months go to and already have a stroller and car seat! Here are some pictures!

This is after I took everything off.


Everything out of the dry, stain free and smelling wonderful


Car Seat Put Together


Stroller Put Together


Clean and in Perfect Condition, Our Travel System for Baby J


IN OTHER NEWS!
Nick and I have agreed up names! Both the girl and Boy name start with the letter J. If and when we find out the baby's sex, we might announce the name as well. I dunno, we have a few weeks for that still.

2 comments:

  1. The green looks like it will match the room, BONUS! Not that you will ever stroll the baby around the room...will you? I feel like that question is reason # 487 I am not quite ready for a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this concept, I think you and I both already discussed that's what we plan to do as well, I've already been searching craigslist and I'm purchasing my diaper bag this weekend. I fell in love with one at an outlet and it won't be around when I'm in need of it so I'm buying it and putting it in the closet for later. <3 I'm DYING to know your names!!!

    ReplyDelete